Monday, October 16, 2006

Happier With Less

The simple life. God has been teaching me lately to live simply. I blogged recently about this and the lesson continues. I sense God saying, "I'm stripping away the fat in your life, Peter." Why? Because it's not needed. Check out some devotional thoughts from Spurgeon today...

"The best position for a Christian is living wholly and directly on God's grace-remaining where he stood at first-"having nothing, yet possessing everything."2 Let us never for a moment think that our standing is in our sanctification, our mortification, our graces, or our feelings. But be sure of this, that because Christ offered a full atonement, therefore we are saved; for we are complete in Him. Having nothing of our own to trust in, but resting upon the merits of Jesus, His passion and holy life provide us with the only sure ground of confidence. Beloved, when we are brought to a thirsty condition, we are sure to turn eagerly to the fountain of life.

I imagine I am not the only person guilty of thinking that my actions somehow create my peace. I imagine I'm not the only one who compares himself with others. I imagine I'm not the only one thinking my possessions create a sense of security. So, what do I do with all this? I rest on the promise from God that, despite having nothing, I possess everything. I recently lost a very large investment...my house. I chose to do what I believe would honor God above what I believed would benefit me. It wasn't easy. It took some time for me to accept, then even rejoice, in the loss. But now I see the blessing and truly do rejoice. You see, our possessions are not owned by us. They are God's. On a practical point, they own us, you know. When we borrow to own, we really do not own at all. Think about it.

Well, I am amazed at God's grace on me. How often I have chosen the worldly over the spiritual. It must end. I admit my fault in this area and confess I still have a ways to go. But God is good. He is faithful. He is a loving and gentle Father. I rejoice in Him today. I hope you do, as well.

Peter

No comments: