Thursday, October 26, 2006

Balance

Balance...in Boulder this word may mean at peace with oneself or to find yourself in balance with the earth. Scripturally, I think it means denying myself so that my focus is on returning my resources back to the Creator who gave in the first place.

"The ocean is a great receiver, but it is also a generous distributor. What the rivers bring, it returns to the earth in the form of clouds and rain. The man who takes everything but makes no return is out of joint with the universe."
(Spurgeon)

Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.
(Luke 9:23)

Just as the ocean receives, it returns. It's dividends are life sustaining resources, probably too many to document. Yet, how often do I receive and fail to yield returns honoring to God...oh too often.

May today be a day of returning, bringing balance. May today be a day where I think not of myself, but others. May today remind me that I do not live for myself. God gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we may find eternal life. He only asks that we deny ourselves in our daily living so others may see that truth. I'd say it's a fair exchange!

Peter

No comments: