Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Day of Salvation

Jan and I have been praying for Jonatha and Aidan for quite some time to begin to understand for themselves what it means to know God personally. We have always desired that their faith would be their own and not their parent's faith.

Tonight Jonatha expressed to me that she didn't want anything for Christmas. I asked her why and she said "I just want God's Spirit for Christmas...nothing else." I asked her if she understood how she can have God's Spirit and she said, "If I believe in Jesus."

So we discussed what it means to believe that Jesus' death on the cross was payment for our sin and that, if we choose not to believe, we will spend eternity without him. We have had this talk many times before, but something was different tonight. She truly seemed to understand and want to do something about it. We decided to pray about it and nail it down for her and make sure that she has made this decision.

After praying to God that she believes, she continued praying, "God, I guess I have two daddies because you are always with me." And I listened as she prayed and told God she believes in him and loves him.

As a parent, these words are sweet to my soul. It brings me great joy to hear that my daughter understands the Gospel and she has accepted what Jesus has done for her. Now I can take comfort in knowing she will be with us in heaven.

Praise God!

Luke 18:16 "But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

No comments: