Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Constant Cleansing

HE . . . BEGAN TO WASH THE DISCIPLES' FEET. ”John 13:5

The Lord Jesus loves His people so much that every day He is still doing for them much that is analogous to washing their soiled feet. Their poorest actions He accepts; their deepest sorrow He feels; their slenderest wish He hears; and their every transgression He forgives. He is still their servant as well as their Friend and Master. He not only performs majestic deeds for them, when in all His priestly garb and function He stands up to plead for them, but He also humbly, patiently goes among His people with the basin and the towel.

I was reading my Truth for Life devotional and realized just how much of a reality this is in my personal life. The older my children get, the more I begin to see my sinfulness in them. It's not a slam on my kids, it's a gut check for me. When my son holds his fist in defiance at me after being corrected, or when my daughter responds with hurtful statements because she feels I have been unfair, I am dreadfully reminded they are just a reflection of my behavior toward my heavenly Father.

Yet, in his infinite grace, he forgives me. Again, then again, then again. If you think for an instance that you make it through even one day without sin, you are truly a fool. For even the slightest thought that is not completely in step with Jesus himself is a sinful act. If the momentary worldly desire creeps into your mind for just a split second, you fall short of God's standard. So, what do we do with this? We go to the One who promises to wash us. He is prepared to cleanse us because he loves us so much. All the more, he does this for us day in and day out. And more than just forgiving us, he is ready and eager to provide for us all that we need. He is a generous God who promises to take care of us...to give us the food we need to eat, to give us the strength we need to overcome trial and hardship, to reveal his glorious self in amazing us with his sudden provision. And I could go on...

Pretty humbling to consider just how desperate I really am for God when I think upon my selfishness and sinfulness. And pretty humbling to consider his response of grace.

--Peter

No comments: