Monday, September 25, 2006

Simple Truth


"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge." "All those who practice it have a good understanding." (Proverbs 1:7; Psalm 111:10)

Here in Boulder County, I have noticed the reality of the danger in thinking that philosophical reasoning will enhance truth. Spurgeon writes, "Man's intellect seeks for peace and by nature seeks it apart from the Lord Jesus Christ. Men of education are apt, even when converted, to look upon the simplicities of the cross of Christ with too little reverence and love." Demographics in Boulder reveal that over 36% of residents here have undergraduate degrees (U.S. avg 15%) and 30% have Master's or Doctorates degrees (U.S. avg 8%). The trend here is to reason out your faith through worldly viewpoints. However, I notice a different story in the Scriptures..."But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong" (1 Corinthians 1:27). Interestingly enough, such words were spoken to a similar culture in Corinth as we see in Boulder.

I am guilty too often of falling in this trap of reasoning. I begin to rationalize my faith and my prayers. I justify my sin and my failures. The simple truth rests with the cross...Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice by suffering the greatest of sufferings so we may enjoy eternity with Him. He did it so we wouldn't have to. The choice is simple...believe in what he did and be saved (Romans 10:10-13).

I hope today you have already made this decision. Your simple faith will yield great wisdom. Not a worldly wisdom, but wisdom that brings eternal values. Enjoy your day in the Lord and rest in his perfect knowledge.

-- Peter

Picture: Mt. Evans (taken on hike this July)

No comments: