Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Faith...

What does it mean to have faith? Hebrews 11:1 tells us, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." What are we hoping for? As a believer, I am hoping for eternity in heaven, but not 'hope' in the earthly sense. I am not uncertain, rather, am very certain I will spend eternity in heaven with Jesus. My 'hope' is an eternal hope, one that is confident, certain. In all this, I am certain of what I have yet to see. I haven't seen Jesus in person, nor touched him, nor seen heaven. Yet, I know I will see both Jesus and heaven when my time here ends.

Regarding my earthly faith lessons, I am reminded today from my devotional that "Faith is triumphant in trial. When reason has her feet fastened in the stocks of the inner prison, faith makes the dungeon walls ring with her happy notes as she cries, 'I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will make music' (Psalm 101:1). Faith pulls the dark mask from the face of trouble and discovers the angel beneath."

So, you see faith has eternal values and earthly values. It's power rests within those who have placed their trust in the Living Savior who suffered the cross and all its shame. I am humbled at this thought. The sacrifice Jesus made for all mankind is available to all mankind. The only thing preventing it from becoming reality is faith. Each of us must make that decision.

I am thankful I have made mine...Peter

No comments: