Thursday, November 09, 2006

Home Inside of Me

"What an honor to entertain the Son of God! The heaven of heavens cannot contain Him, and yet He condescends to find a house within our hearts! We are not worthy that He should come under our roof, but what an unutterable privilege when He condescends to enter!" - Spurgeon

Back in 1991, Wes King wrote a song called "Home Inside of Me". Its one of my all-time favorites. I can hear "of all the places you could be, you choose to make your home inside of me." That song burned a thought in my mind as a young believer that God dwells where he pleases. The universe is his creation. The universe is not vast enough to contain him, yet his chooses to dwell in the hearts of believers. God also chose to dwell among us a human for roughly 30 years. He chose to do it as an average looking man, humble, hard-working, meek. He did not come in triumphant grandeur with trumpets blasting and angels singing. He showed up as a baby boy in a rejected location surrounded by dirt, crap, and animals. He entered the world of smells and sin. He then lived among us knowing his true home was somewhere else and to get back there, he would have to suffer the greatest of all suffering. Then, for those who accept him, he sends his Spirit to dwell in us. The Spirit protects, comforts, corrects, and encourages us in our walk. God is with us every thought, word and step of the day. He dwells in me as I type this blog. He knows what word I am about to type.

Why then, do I choose the worldly thought? Why do I choose the worldly attitude? Why do I selfishly care for myself before others? You know...Kris and I were visiting with a homeless man named Tim last Thursday. We talked with him for about a half hour. Tim has lived all over the country, has worked numerous trades, has slept in about every state in the country. He told us of how he is a follower of Christ, and that his home is in heaven. He told us stories of how he has never owned a car and never will. He shared with us the joys of living in Boulder because it is the most beautiful city in America (he may be right!). He shared stories of hiking Bear Mountain and Sugarloaf Canyon. He shared how his life is so simple and how he always has what he needs to survive. I envy Tim in a way. Not because I want his life, but more because I want his mindset on life. He lives for Jesus with minimal worries and enjoys what God has given him. He isn't concerned with mortgages, car payments, being on time for work, paying off the credit card, etc. He wakes up and says, "where shall I hike today?" Amazing. I chose the life of family and accept the responsibilities that comes with it. But, in some ways, I am learning to live like Tim. To shed my possessions and worries for simplicity and joy in sharing God's truth with those who need him. It only makes sense...Jesus did the same thing.

--Peter

No comments: