Monday, August 28, 2006

Future Glory

Sometimes I happen upon the Word in my routine, not really expecting much, which is sad...I should always expect much from the Word. Today I began reading the Word, partially distracted, certainly unprepared. I read through Isaiah 54 after reading my daily devotional from Truth For Life. However, the last few verses caught my attention, and I decided to read it again...and then again. Sometimes, I just need a little kick in the butt by a verse that grabs my thoughts. Today it was verse 14 "In righteousness you will be established: Tyranny will be far from you; you will have nothing to fear. Terror will be far removed; it will not come near you."

If I choose it, I can allow my circumstances to keep me off-balance as opposed to established, my fears to be near as opposed to far removed. I can allow the things of this world to keep me from fully being satisfied in Jesus, the temptations of life to lead me astray, the desires of my heart to rule my judgment. However, God wants the things of this world to be the last desires of my heart and the temptations of this world to be far removed from my mind. God will comfort me with his presence and will protect me. His promises to the faithful in the Old Testament ring true for us today...If we are established, tyranny will be far from us, and we will have nothing to fear. Terror will be removed, it will not come near us. I am not talking about present trials or troubles. I am speaking to what is ultimately promised. And, because what is ultimately promised, I can rest in Jesus' arms. I can rest in peace, knowing God is with me. I can even rejoice and sing praises because of his goodness, grace, mercy and love despite present trials or troubles. Isn't he deserving of our praise? Does he not require it of us? Our logical response to God should be a sacrifical offering of our bodies (Romans 12:1) which is a spiritual act of worship.

I am challenged with these thoughts and hope you are encouraged by them. Rest and dwell with Jesus today. Stop your routine and pause with him. Turn the t.v. and your cell phone off and listen. Take a break from email and read something of eternal value. Whatever you "happen upon" just may soften your heart and change you for better. Enjoy the Lord today...Peter

Picture: Rainbow Lakes Creek, Rainbow Lakes, CO

No comments: