Monday, February 25, 2008

Fire Camp

This past week I attended Colorado Fire Camp to get my certifications as a wildland firefighter. It is located in Salida, CO about 4 hours SW from my house. Just so happens A-Basin is exactly half way there, right on the path down, so I figured I better check out the new back bowl. Did I mention I ski there for free? Uh huh...

In the Incident Response Pocket Guide (Firefighter's Bible), there are what's called the 10-18's. Part of the 10 Standard Firefighting Orders includes #2 - "Know what your fire is doing at all times". I'd say this rule applies with regards to the parking lot conditions at A-Basin. "Know what your ice is doing at all times before trying to turn around in a tight space." I left a note by the way...

Standard Firefighting Orders #1 - "Keep informed on fire weather conditions and forecasts". Uh, yes I can do that. It is definitely snowing with flat light conditions and hard pack snow on the back bowl at A-Basin. Slope is 40%, aspect is SW, conditions for fire are safe, escape route includes high speed chair lift 1 miles from position...

Standard Firefighting Orders #4 - "Identify escape routes and safety zones, and make them known." Pretty screwed here. Escape route includes coming to a stop and hoping to see anything possible in front of me on Hoosier Pass. It cleared after another mile up the pass...


Standard Firefighting Orders #6 - "Be alert. Keep calm. Think clearly. Act decisively." Got it...

Standard Firefighting Orders #5 - "Post lookouts when there is possible danger." I found a good spot at the peak of Mt. Shavano out my lodge window at camp. Incident Commander, may I post lookout here?

No, Peter. Shut up and sit down for the fire video.

And don't forget to relax and eat grub downstairs in the lodge.

Standard Firefighting Orders #10 - "Fight fire aggressively, having provided for safety first." Time to get to work, folks.