Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Armed and Dangerous

Revelation 1:13

One like "a son of man" appeared to John in Patmos, and the beloved disciple noticed that He wore "a golden sash." A sash, for Jesus was never unprepared while on earth, but always stood ready for service; and now before the eternal throne He continues His ministry as our great High Priest...Spurgeon

I've been praying much differently lately. I have had my routine turned upside down. It seems God has been teaching me lately to be girded up so to speak...to be ready, armed. Not in a defensive mindset, rather offensive. I believe this is how Jesus approached prayer. He didn't wait for people's needs to arise before dealing with them in prayer. He prayed in a way so as to prepare for those situations and needs, then took action when they came up. I admit, I typically prayer after the situation or need arises. So what's the deal with the sash? Well, it reminds us of Jesus' royalty, his kingship. And, it is tight, not loose, ready for action. He stands before the Father on our behalf at all times. Never does a moment arise where the Holy Father sees me outside of his vision of Jesus. Rose-tinted, blood stained eyesight.


So, what's my response? Well, honestly, I sin. I'm lazy. I procrastinate. I act selfishly. I act goofy or dorky. I look like the Greatest American Hero (really bad 80's show, but if you're in your 30's you know you watched it). Yet, he commands me to be ready, to take stand, to wear the belt of truth. He commands me to be in full armor, prepared for battle (Ephesians 6). He must think I am able (by his grace of course). Isn't that encouraging? God asks us to do what he knows we can do. To stand, armed and dangerous, yes dangerous. Watch out unbeliever! I am ready for battle. Want to question my faith? Bring it on. Want to trip me up and tempt me to live of the world. Try again. Want to confuse me and subtly brainwash me into politically correct philosophies. I don't think so. You will fail because I am ready...Jesus' sash is tightened and he stands for me. And now, I stand, belt tightened and ready for battle.

--Peter

No comments: